Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Place To Read

"A Place To Read;" 5x7, 140 lb. WC paper
I have painted this scene before, but never so carefully. The first time I painted it was over two years ago, and I was just getting back into watercolors after many years away from them. That first version was much looser than this one. This one is already sold, so I knew I needed to give it my best.

It's amazing how confusing it is to draw a divided-light window when you're trying to fit it into a specific space and when there are items in the foreground, like flower vases. I've drawn this scene more than three times, and I don't think I've ever gotten the window structure entirely correct. But, as a friend once told me, when I was obsessing needlessly about every little detail of a craft project, "If you can't see it from a galloping horse, let it go." Good advice!


No comments:

Post a Comment