Saturday, September 28, 2013

Landscape of Love

You've probably heard the expression, "It was a labor of love." It usually refers to some project that is more difficult than usual but that is accomplished gladly anyway because it's done for a loved one and from a heart of love, not duty. Well, I'm in labor right now...with no medication! I've never liked painting landscapes. I leave landscapes to others who do them well. I avoid them almost completely, but alas, I must deliver a landscape...soon.

A good friend is having a big event to celebrate her recent marriage, and I agreed to paint a custom piece of artwork for her guests to sign. I've made two of these kinds of pieces in the last year, and I know how much work they are. Trying to make them reflect the actual bridal couple is challenging, but fun. Until an idea finally starts to emerge, I'm terrified that I won't get a good idea. So, I procrastinate and worry. These wedding artwork pieces are stressful labors of love. That is why I give them as a gift instead of selling them. That is why I don't really offer to do them for just anyone. That is why you must be a good friend or a close relative!

Below is a small color study for what will be a much larger piece. It's obviously unfinished, and I might decide to not finish it. I'm on a deadline and need to move to the final piece soon. When I'm done, I think I will maintain my discomfort with landscapes and large-scale painting in general. I'm out of my comfort zone, for sure. It's a good thing I love you, Dianne! And, I really do! Dianne and her husband grew up in Lancaster County. He is an expert in raising pigs; she is an expert photographer. They met at church, and their celebration will take place at the beginning of autumn, hopefully as the trees are just turning brilliant.
Landscape of Love; 9"x12" watercolor study



No comments:

Post a Comment